Sunday 29 January 2017

What kind of media institiution might distribute your media product and why?

 
My target audience is a mass audience as the indie-pop genre grows and is becoming more popular. Therefore, although the indie genre audience is more niche, the compilation of indie with pop makes the audience larger and I am therefore targeting my music magazine to a mass audience.
A media institution is an organisation that produces or distributes media products', which can be done through many different methods whether it be marketing or production etc. There are mass institutions and independent institutions. "Bauer media" is an example of a media institution, they are responsible for publishing magazines such as "Q" and "Kerrang!" which appeal to mass audiences and are more mainstream music based. Therefore, as I would like to choose a publisher of whom publishes my type of magazine and reaches a mass audience as my magazine would I would like "Bauer media" to publish my magazine. "Bauer media" publishes a range of music magazines with all different genres, therefore, I believe if "Bauer media" were to publish my magazine they would be expanding their audience with this growing genre and my TA is a mass audience and therefore would be beneficial to the institution. Although, it may be more effective based off my TA to have an independent institution publish my magazine so that then my magazine is straying away from the mainstream industry, an independent company would not reach my mass audience as "Bauer media" would. "Bauer media" are responsible for highly successful prints and I would hope that if they were to publish my magazine it would be due to my TA being a mass audience and the quality of my magazine as well as being one of the first institutions to publish a magazine with the indie-pop genre.
 
At the moment there are many mainstream music magazines, mainly focusing on the pop industry, and therefore I believe that there is a gap in this industry for an indie-pop music magazine. Its innovative, fresh, new and something that is desperately needed in the music magazine industry; in the modern day music has become very safe and no one is experimenting with it as much as they used to, therefore many people are just sticking to mainstream music because its classed as "trendy" and a high majority of people have no means of access in discovering new music. This is where my magazine is advantageous to these individuals as it provides a means of access to new music that is unlike their regular consumption. As well as, many of the magazines published by "Bauer media" focus on lifestyle and fashion rather than music and therefore I believe my magazine would fill this gap.
 
Also, the TA would only read a magazine that they trust and due to "Bauer media" having published many very well known brands. Therefore, if I had published with an independent institution my TA may not have trusted it which would mean they would purchase it, consumption will be very low and my magazine may become very unsuccessful. "Bauer media" have described themselves as "Britain's biggest magazine publisher" with many iconic brands within their portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment