Sunday 29 January 2017

How does your media product represent particular social groups?



My TA would be referred to as being in the social group of "hipsters". These are individuals of whom see themselves as trendsetters and opinion moulders; they consist of middle-class young people of whom use social media to show how they are up to date with trends. Although, I believe my TA are a sub-group of hipsters; hipsters stay on trend and are focused on mainstream music where as my TA like to stray away from this type of music and find new and unique styles of music many other individuals wouldn't discover. Therefore, my magazine will influence their taste in music although they can be selective and so that is why I included a range of artists and features to appeal to a wide majority within this social group. My talent within my final front cover of my music magazine is representative of this social group; she is wearing very casual clothes although it still looks very stylish and well thought out, she has a good posture and isn't slouching where as if I was representing another music genre social group like punk rock the talent may be more slouched to portray the connotations that go along with the TA of that genre of music. The use of mise-en-scene within my image is also reflective of the social group; the talent is holding the prop of a guitar and many "hipsters" are very musically orientated and the setting is also quite reflective of the social group. The setting is a wrecked, abandoned building which would be viewed as a rustic, hipster place to take pictures and to hang out.
The social groups excluded from my TA would be those of whom are the "mainstreamers", these are individuals of whom just follow trends and whatever is popular at the current time rather than finding their own taste and interests. These individuals are excluded because my music magazine does not follow a lot of mainstream music but instead is a source of discovering new music as well as supporting new artists.

1 comment:

  1. You could perhaps extend this with more detail and perhaps refer to your own production through explicit analysis of the design.

    ReplyDelete